Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thinking Out Loud: Fadeless.

Originally posted as a 15min ficlet here...
The room was unlit, no fire in the hearth and none in the chandeleirs or candles. Vendris had no trouble making out the furniture and the shape of the others, two by the window, one by the shelves, and on seated in front of the hearth.

"You're late, Kainiri," the latter said.

"You didn't exactly leave me much time to get here after the Dol'Carn, your Grace," Vendris told him.

"Perhaps not," Duke Sevrisil mused, "but we need to talk."

"Apparently," Vendris pointed out, waving the miniscule slip of paper at him, "you said 'urgently'."

"Yes, I did."

Vendris sat down in the armchair on the other side of the fireplace.

"So, talk, your Grace, I am at your disposal," the Count told the Duke.

Sevrisil glanced around in the darkness, and waved a hand.

"Light a candle, I'm tired of this darkness," he instructed, and one of the other three complied. Vendris noted their faces as the candles lit up their features.

"Better. Wine?" the Duke offered, raising his own glass.

"No, thank you."

"As you wish."

"Stop playing with me, Sevrisil, I've got better things to do than sit here and wait for you to get to your point," Vendris said wearily, leaning back in the chair and crossing his legs comfortably.

"Your friend is costing this nation more than he's worth," the Duke stated, "and the rest of us are losing patience with him. His political influence over the King is out of control."

Vendris rose to his feet in disgust.

"You called me here to discuss the First Prince because he didn't let you win the Swords this morning. That's pathetic, Mordign. What is it you expect me to be able to do?"

"Sit down, Kainiri," Sevrisil snapped, his patience obviously wearing thin, "you are the only one who has Teforne's ear, you're the only one he listens to."

"And you want me to convince him that renewing our hostile relations with Kardysha?" Vendris asked, keeping his voice calm as he leaned against the hearth.

"I would like you to speak with him," Sevrisil stated, "he is not without reason, and he and I would make powerful - "

"I've heard enough," Vendris said, "I am not his messenger, nor am I his ambassador, or his keeper. I am his friend, as you so delicately put it. I have no intention of approaching him on your behalf for anything. Teforne Ameandir is the First Prince of this Realm, and his is the recognized Vael'ne'Nayl, you wish to sway him, then sway him."

"Be careful, Count," Sevrisil said, his voice low and menacing, "for all that your hereditary position and power at Court you are not without enemies, and don't think that we didn't notice that it was you who called for the Sixth sword. Your continued friendship with that thing - "

"Mind what you say of the First Prince, Sevrisil," Vendris interrupted, his voice as tight as the Duke's, "I do not take my friendships lightly, and Weaponsmaster or no, I will not stand here and listen to you slander him."

" - has cost you more than you know," Sevrisil continued.

"I will keep that in mind, your Grace," Vendris replied.

"See that you do, Kainiri."

Vendris gave him a shallow bow, closer to a nod, and walked past him and out of the room; none of the others tried to stop him. They glanced at his face and stepped back to let him pass.

Outside, removed from Sevrisil's apartments, Vendris forced himself to quiet, and took a breath. This is getting out of hand, he thought; something was going to have to happen with Sevrisil, or perhaps to. He took another breath and tucked a strand of auburn hair away where it wouldn't drift into his strange, amber eyes. First things first, he would have to tell Teforne about this meeting. Perhaps that would waken the First Prince's interest in the political state of the country, or at least shake it away from his depression, or whatever he wanted to call it. He blinked, and breathed out.

A few seconds later, a tri-coloured patches cat sauntered around the corner in the direction of the Nath'Nayl, looking up and out at the world with strange, amber eyes.


This takes place after the Dol'Carn in Lady of the Glaive, during which Sevrisil calls for the Swords and Vendris and Teforne mess with his plans. I'm not sure if this will actually make it to the final cut, though I think it might be a good way to introduce the Vendris/Mardis duality thing. Maybe. I'll have to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment